Friday, February 4, 2011

What's in a word?

Photograph by Natalie Roberts

My friend Justyna is one of the most elegant people I know.  There's something about her Euro-chic style that I've always admired and envied, something very sophisticated in her manner of speaking the way she carries herself.  It's not just her Polish accent either, although I wish my voice sounded as exotic.

Last weekend, Justyna and I were talking about linguistics, since I'm in the process of becoming bilingual.  Somehow we came upon the subject of lame words and the limits that many Americans have on their vocabularies.  Some guy had asked her to "chill" with him.  Without really asking her on a date, he decided to be as vague as possible, while still keeping his options open (at least this is what he seemed to think).  This whole thing made me think: How ridiculous! what does "chill" mean anyway?  Okay... I'll go outside with you into the snowbank and chill...?!  "Chill" brought about a full blown vent session at how overused and underused the capacity of the English language is.  It seems like "awkward," "cute," "hot," "cool," "attractive," and "interesting" are the only adjectives used nowadays.  (I remember several years ago the it word was "random."  Thankfully that one's gone out of style).

I was recently asked out by a guy whose reason for wanting to date me, he said, was my "awesome personality."  

Eh?

Okay, fine.  I shouldn't be too harsh: at least he tried.  Actually, he seemed to be a halfway decent guy, although our values and plans definitely did not match up and I turned him down.  But really!  Can you be more nondescript?  What does "awesome personality" even mean?  It certainly didn't provide a hint at what he really liked about me.  It would have meant more to me if he would have said something about liking the way I laugh at my own jokes or at least some indication that he was talking about me, and not just generically pegging any number of the world's population whose personality happens to "inspire awe" (whatever that means).


My carping on the depravity of the American vocabulary led me to seek help from an old friend: The Thesaurus.  Armed with this weapon of synonyms, I charged into battle against the shrinking vocabulary of America.  I believe that our overused adjective do struggle to describe common occurrences in the day to day life of a college student, so I have compiled a new and improved list of adjectives.

Overused word:  awkward: difficult to handle

New and improved synonyms: annoying, chancy, disagreeable, discommodious, embarrassing, hazardous, risky, uncomfortable


Overused word: attractive (also cute, hot and cool): appealing, drawing attention

New and improved synonyms: alluring, beckoning, captivating, charming, engaging, enthralling, enticing, fascinating, fetching, gorgeous, inviting, magnetic, mesmeric, stunning, tantalizing, winning

Overused word: interesting: entertaining

New and improved synonyms: absorbing, arresting, charismatic, compelling, engrossing, gripping, impressive, intriguing, inviting, refreshing, riveting, stirring, striking, unusual

So.  That is that.  I think my grammar professor would approve.  Aside from the self-satisfaction of sounding capable, now is a good time to build my vocabulary as it's never too early to start preparing for teaching English overseas.  I certainly want my students to learn better ways of inviting someone out than by asking them to "chill."  (Which I have found no synonyms for that actually fit the guy's use of the word that were worthwhile).

Until next time,
Winona

No comments:

Post a Comment