Thursday, February 10, 2011

Skipping Town, Thrifting, and Yul Brynner

I write this from my own room at my parents house, drinking in the scent of candles and incense, reveling in home.  I had originally planned to come home Thursday night on the evening train– Wednesday afternoon, however, I was unexpectedly overcome with a very swaying impulse to leave a day early.  Being that the next day held no particularly important class assignments, I decided to pack and leave that night.

There is a freedom in boarding a train and feeling the swaying rhythm of the tracks, knowing that you are leaving your cares behind you, even if only for a short time.  The train had very few passengers (likely because it was a Wednesday) and I slept for most of the ride.

My mom picked me up at the station; it is good to see my family again.  The past two years have been a strange journey for my feelings about home.  I literally could not wait to get fast and far away from my parents when I first moved to college, and I can honestly say that I never once was homesick during the entire year.  This year, however, has been quite different.

I miss them.  I truly miss my parents and brothers and sisters when I'm away.  I miss my the vibrant diversity and rich arts community of the Twin Cities, I miss my kids (clients), I miss the local library, I miss being with my friends from home.  Under said circumstances, I hope to fully enjoy my truancy trip home.

Since everyone was either at school or work for most of the day, I hit up the local Goodwill.  May I just say: I adore thrift stores.  I'll admit that my enthusiasm for them has occasionally gone over the top, (there has been more than one time when I've re-donated impulsively purchased miscellaneous merchandise the day after I bought it) but for the most part thrifting has been an enriching experience.  I've also had the opportunity to explore and discover my personal style, which has in turn helped me to express my identity.  Today I found and bought several items of interest, including

  • magnetic poetry (for my fridge at school)
  • stationery and blank notes (for snail mail)
  • recycled-sweater mittens
  • multicolored tiered Boho skirt

(Also, over Christmas I came across the cutest little teapot and sugar bowl, which I couldn't resist posting below).
My cute thrift sugar-bowl and teapot (with preciously owned tea cups)

Inside view of recycled sweater mittens

Outside view mittens
I've barely been home 24 hours and I feel almost as though I never left.  It is a good feeling.  Everyone else is sleeping right now, but I don't want to go to bed yet.  This is probably because I know that my visit home will soon be over and I want to keep it alive. *sigh* I have a terrible impulse to stay up awhile longer.  I'm in a kind of Yul Brynner movie mood.  Lord, I love that man; so magnificent.  (For some reason, most of my celebrity crushes are deceased...  Why this is, I'm not quite sure.  Bad luck, maybe?).  I really want to watch Anastasia or The King and I right now...

No, no, I'm going to be responsible and get a good night's sleep.  I will post again soon, but for now I'm off to bed.  In the words of Yul: "So let it be written, so let it be done."

Laku noć! 

No comments:

Post a Comment